| Rating: 4.5/5||Serves: 4 Servings||Difficulty: Medium||Approx. Cost: $22.00|
|Prep Time: 40 Minutes||Total Time: 40 Minutes|
Fish sauce is a much-maligned ingredient in American cooking. Fish sauce is made from the liquid of salted fish or krill that has been fermenting for up to two years, giving
In Southeast Asian cuisine, fish sauce is a widely utilized ingredient that’s used to season and flavor a myriad of different dishes. Fish sauce is especially prominent in Thai and Vietnamese cooking where curries, salad dressings, sauces, marinades
Fish sauce is very salty, but the fermentation also gives it a wonderfully complex and deep flavor with a briny and sweet finish. These flavor profiles give
Be careful not to use too much fish sauce in a dish and make sure to taste your food repeatedly to keep the seasoning on track. Since
Jicama Salad Recipe
This recipe calls for using fish sauce, lime, sugar and chili peppers to create a bright, assertive dressing.
Jicama, the slightly sweet and crunchy Mexican root vegetable, is a terrific vehicle to soak up the wonderful fish sauce dressing. Tossing that dressing with jicama, carrots, shaved red onion, cilantro, mint and toasted peanuts
This recipe is a great way to get comfortable using fish sauce and to get a sense
- 2½ tablespoons fish sauce
- Zest and juice of 4 limes
- 2 Thai green chilies (or 1 small jalapeno), minced (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 medium-sized jicama, peeled and shredded with a cheese grater
- ½ cup (170 grams) shredded carrots
- 1 small red onion, shaved thin
- Small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ small bunch mint, roughly chopped
- ½ cup (170 grams) peanuts, toasted and chopped
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a large bowl. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Toss the dressing with the jicama, carrots
- Top the salad with the chopped herbs and peanuts. Serve chilled.
JARED KENT has been cooking professionally for seven years. After attending Johnson & Wales University’s culinary arts program, he has worked in a fine dining restaurant run by world-renowned chef Marcus Samuelsson, worked as a culinary teaching assistant, managed an upscale food truck, cooked in a Southeast Asian restaurant and worked as a sous chef in a tapas restaurant.